Thursday, April 29, 2010

Still Shouting

The familiar passage, Be still and know that I am God, has been a good word for me during the last week. It has been especially helpful to consider “being still” in light of the entire Psalm 46. The psalm opens with some other familiar words: God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.

Both lines inspire strength, hope, and comfort. However, I have never put the two together. I haven’t even considered they were the opening and closing of the same psalm. Now I am appreciating how each illumines the other. This week when I think about being still and knowing God, I am remembering it more as, “Easy now. God is God. You can trust Him. He is my proven refuge, strength, and help.”

I had a little fun with the passage. One translation I read put an exclamation point after "Be still and know I am God!" So, I started reading the psalm as a crescendo from a quiet first verse to a shout at verse 10. It works a little different to shout out "Be still and know that I am God," but it makes sense in the context of the psalm. Try it.
Pastor Chuck

1 comment:

  1. Now that you say it that way ... as a parent, it might sound like this: "CAN - YOU - BE - STILL? FOR JUST A MOMENT? I'M HERE. IT'S OKAY."
    Of course, when the baby is bawling his head off, he can't hear you until you are slightly louder, and then in the realization begins to calm and grow still.

    ReplyDelete