Wednesday, April 21, 2010

4-21-2010

I want to never graduate from Children’s Church.

Of course if I started attending Children’s Church there would be problems. For one, I have never been able to figure out the crayon thing. And there are several other good reasons the Children’s Church teacher would probably be calling my parents to discreetly insist they find a more age-appropriate placement for me. Nevertheless, although the Christian Education administration will find ways of moving me through the system, I am reluctant to accept the demotion to Adult Church.

As we all know Adult Church is ever so much less interesting than Children’s Church, but we are there because the system moves us along, and we eventually collect in the only place left. Last Sunday two grade school aged worshippers stayed in the service upstairs even though there was a Youth Service alternative. I know they were there because they were passing notes – to the church staff. I’ll share them with you,

I love Jesus. He’s a good guy.
With lots of love,
A.


I like the prayers you guys do. I’m very thankful.
Love,
C.

My sermon content last Sunday did not surpass the down-to-earth, personal faith of these younger worshippers. A person could live well by the straightforward terms expressed in those brief notes. It is the simple, personal faith of a child that is the Children’s Church from which I pray I never graduate.

Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matt 19:13-14 (NIV)

CO

No comments:

Post a Comment