Thursday, March 4, 2010

Many, many times I have turned to the Mary and Martha passage from Luke 10:38-41 and found inspiration. In brief (Too brief really. Might was well read it yourself.), while Martha was taking care of the guests, her sister, Mary, was sitting with Jesus. Martha complained and Jesus said to her, “You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.”
We can all identify with Martha. There are many things to do, and who will do them if not us? There is work to do and, yes, we get worried and upset about those things. Sure, I wish I was on retreat, walking in the woods, praying, worshipping, reflecting on Scripture, repairing a house in Haiti. However, there are other demands barking at me. There is work to be done.

Here is a little prayer I heard recently that helps me retreat in the midst of a workaday world:

“Lord, may I remember the One thing as I attend to many things.”

I’ve found it helpful to stop from time to time in the course of doing many things and center down with this sentence prayer. Then reengage the responsibilities before me.

1 comment:

  1. Margin is such a hard thing to find. A momentary pause to read your blog and to pray for a reminder of what really is important is much appreciated. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete