Friday, November 6, 2009

11-06-09 Mustard Seed Faith

Jesus' disciples asked Him to increase their faith, and Jesus replied that faith no bigger than a mustard seed would do. I noticed that the ensuing stories (Ten Lepers, Persistent Widow, Pharisee and Tax Collector, Little Children, Blind Beggar, Zacchaeus, Talents) all look like mustard seed faith to me. I don't think that is a coincidence - not because Jesus backed up the principle with a bunch of illustrations - but because mustard seed faith is what we have.

My little mustard seed of faith and Jesus -- That's enough. This thought has been very helpful for me as I engage circumstances that are so much bigger than I am. It helps me overcome my apprehension that I don't have enough faith.

What is "enough" anyway? Am I such a great judge of when my faith has finally grown to acceptable proportions? Ahh... no.

Do I have a mustard seed size faith? Yes. Jesus can work with that.

Our Lord is with us,
CO

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Chuck

    Always enjoy reading your words here. I know that, "I can do nothing on my own." I can't have enough faith in my own conscious thinking to make it. Reminds me that when I don't know what to pray, the spirit will take over if I have but a seed of faith.

    Thanks, Carl

    ReplyDelete